Choose City

  • Agartala
  • Agra
  • Ahmedabad
  • Allahabad
  • Amritsar
  • Asansol
  • Aurangabad
  • Bangalore
  • Bathinda
  • Bharuch
  • Bhilwara
  • Bhopal
  • Bhubaneswar
  • Bikaner
  • Burdwan
  • Calicut
  • Chandigarh
  • Chennai
  • Chittorgarh
  • Coimbatore
  • Cuttack
  • Dehradun
  • Delhi NCR
  • Dhanbad
  • Durgapur
  • Gandhinagar
  • Gaya
  • Goa
  • Guwahati
  • Gwalior
  • Howrah
  • Hyderabad
  • Indore
  • Jaipur
  • Jalandhar
  • Jammu
  • Jamshedpur
  • Jhansi
  • Jodhpur
  • Kanpur
  • Kharagpur
  • Kochi
  • Kolhapur
  • Kolkata
  • Kota
  • Lucknow
  • Ludhiana
  • Madurai
  • Mangalore
  • Meerut
  • Moradabad
  • Mumbai
  • Muzaffarnagar
  • Nagercoil city
  • Nagpur
  • Nandyal
  • Navi Mumbai
  • Outside India
  • Palakkad
  • Parwanoo
  • Patiala
  • Patna
  • Pune
  • Raipur
  • Rajkot
  • Ranchi
  • Rourkela
  • Secundrabad
  • Siliguri
  • Solapur
  • Surat
  • Thiruchirappalli
  • Thiruvananthapuram
  • Udaipur
  • Vadodara
  • Varanasi
  • Vijayawada
  • Visakhapatnam

Schools in Kolkata

Loreto Day School, Bowbazar

ICSE

English

Day School

  • 2 Follower(s)
Follow

  • Locality: Bowbazar
  • Full Address: 65, B B Ganguly Street, Bow Bazar, Kolkata - 700012
  • Phone No: 033 -22120134
  • Email: contactloretobowbazar@gmail.com
  • Website: www.loretobowbazar.in

  • About
  • Details

Overview


Loreto Bowbazar was established in 1844 on the 8th of December. It was known as St. Francis Xavier Convent. It was originally a small private school owned by Mr. & Mrs. Cooper. There were boarders from the middle income group, who paid their fees. A Free school was also running parallel to the paid school. There were both boys and girls. In 1845 the Christian Brothers took charge of the boys. LBB was the second assignment for the young Loreto Sisters who came to India from Ireland. The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary 15, Portuguese Church Street, Kolkata 700001 being the first port of call after reaching India in 1841 on the 30th of December. In 1845 the Loreto sisters were asked to help in the Medical College Hospital temporarily. The sisters managed the domestic & household duties. They managed the provisions & looked after the ladies in the Female Ward. This arrangement proved to be economical for the doctors. In 1857 the year of the Mutiny, there was a rumour that trouble might spread to Calcutta. The people from the suburbs were removed to Fort William area and the orphans and Sisters from Loreto initially were moved to Loreto Bowbazar. In 1882 the school in Bowbazar which was operating from a house given by M. Cooper was given to the free section of St. Joseph. A new property was acquired for the 300 children of Loreto Bowbazar. In 1882 the premises of Loreto Bowbazar was completed. The Concert Hall and other improvements were made. The building grant sanctioned by the government was not sufficient therefore it had to be supplemented by Dr. Goethals. They still needed money for furniture and additional Halls. In 1884 the new Church was built on the ground of the free school. A free school was to be built on a new plot which was purchased. At that time the only middle school scholarship open to competition was won by Loreto Bowbazar. Among the primary scholarships also LBB won two. LBB was always affiliated to the Education Department of the State. The school leaving certificate then known as Metric later called the Madhyamik Pariksha of the West Bengal Board of Secondary Examination. In 1976 the first batch appeared for the Higher Secondary Examination of the West Bengal Education Council. Until 1986 there was also the Modern School Final Examination conducted by the West Bengal Government. In 1990 a literacy programme for the street children began. The idea was to make the girls self sufficient by offering them opportunity to train as housekeepers or house wives and mothers who would be capable of handling their home and children. Though it did not take off in a big way we hope to revive it. “Nurturing To Freedom” is the basis of all activities in the school.

Specifics

Loreto Bowbazar was established in 1844 on the 8th of December. It was known as St. Francis Xavier Convent. It was originally a small private school owned by Mr. & Mrs. Cooper. There were boarders from the middle income group, who paid their fees. A Free school was also running parallel to the paid school. There were both boys and girls. In 1845 the Christian Brothers took charge of the boys. LBB was the second assignment for the young Loreto Sisters who came to India from Ireland. The Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary 15, Portuguese Church Street, Kolkota 700001 being the first port of call after reaching India in 1841 on the 30th of December. In 1845 the Loreto sisters were asked to help in the Medical College Hospital temporarily. The sisters managed the domestic & household duties. They managed the provisions & looked after the ladies in the Female Ward. This arrangement proved to be economical for the doctors. In 1857 the year of the Mutiny, there was a rumour that trouble might spread to Calcutta. The people from the suburbs were removed to Fort William area and the orphans and Sisters from Loreto Entally were moved to Loreto Bowbazar. In 1882 the school in Bowbazar was operating from a house given by M. Cooper was given to the free section of St. Joseph. A new property was acquired for the 300 children of Loreto Bowbazar. In 1882 the premises of Loreto Bowbazar was completed. The Concert Hall and other improvements were made. The building grant sanctioned by the government was not sufficient therefore it had to be supplemented by Dr. Goethals. They still needed money for furniture and additional Halls. In 1884 the new Church was built on the ground of the free school. A free school was to be built on a new plot. At that time, the only middle school scholarship opened to competition, was won by Loreto Bowbazar. Among the primary scholarships also LBB won two. LBB was always affiliated to the Education Department of the State. The school leaving certificate then known as Metric later called the Madhyamik Pariksha of the West Bengal Board of Secondary Examination. In 1976 the first batch appeared for the Higher Secondary Examination of the West Bengal Education Council. Until 1986 there was also the Modern School Final Examination conducted by the West Bengal Government. In 1990 a literacy programme for the street children began. The idea was to make the girls self sufficient by offering them opportunity to train as housekeepers or house wives and mothers who would be capable of handling their home and children. Though it did not take off in a big way we hope to revive it.

Admission Schedule

ADMISSION PROCEDURE FOR NURSERY

  • Type Of School: Private
  • Grades: 1-12
  • School Day: 5 Days
  • Timing: 8:10 am to 2:30 pm
  • Gender: Girls
  • Religion: All
  • Principal: Mrs. Kaveri Dutt
  • Curriculum: ICSE
  • Language: English
  • Fees: Contact to School website
Infrastructure

  • CHEMISTRY LAB
  • DANCE ROOM
  • HALL
  • HOME SCIENCE LAB
  • COMPUTER LAB
  • CORRIDORS
  • JUNIOR CLASS ROOM
  • JUNIOR LIBRARY
  • LIBRARY
  • MATHS LAB
  • NURSERY CLASSES
  • PHYSICS LAB
  • PLAY AREA
  • PRAYER ROOM
  • STAFF ROOM
  • SCHOOL VIEW

Extra Curricular Activities

CURRICULUM The medium of instruction of this Institution is ENGLISH. Bengali and Hindi are taught as 2nd language from Classes I – XII. 3rd Language is compulsory from Classes V to VIII. The students are prepared for the I.C.S.E examination till Class X. Class XI and XII is Higher Secondary Examination (Science & Humanities only.) In addition to the subjects prescribed by the Council, the Curriculum includes Religious Instruction (for Catholics) and Value Education (for non-Catholics) as compulsory subjects CO-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Co-Curricular Activities are of paramount importance. Inter-personal relational skills, confidence, poise and reliability are some of the qualities developed through co-curricular activities. Hence, such activities are essential in the school programme. These activities include Debates, Elocution, Art and Craft, Quiz, Dance, Music, Drama, Physical Training, Needlework, Karate etc. These activities are organised either House wise or Class wise. There are four Houses, which have their own colours and names. Each House is headed by an elected Captain and Vice-captain. Basketball coaching is also made available from 7:30 am to 8:25 am from Monday to Saturdays. Yoga-asanas has been stopped.

Specialty

Day School


Locate Us