A girl’s school by the name Balika Shiksha Sadan was established in July 1948 at 54 Gariahat Road under the auspices of Balika Shiksha Parishad of North Calcutta. The Parishad built a building at Vivekananda Road for its school and Balika Shiksha Sadan was shifted to its own location at Vivekananda Road by the end of December 1949.
A strong need was felt to provide education in the Hindi Medium to not only the 300 students left behind by the shifting of the above mentioned school from 54 Gariahat Road but also the girls residing in South Calcutta area. On 1st January 1950 Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan was started at the rented premises of 54 Gariahat Road. Thereafter a long and frantic search for a suitable plot of land was started by Shri B.P. Khaitan (Founder President) and Shri R.P. Khaitan (Founder Secretary). Towards the end of 1957 the site of 51 Gariahat Road containing land measuring 63 Cottahs was acquired by Ballygunge Shiksha Samity which governs and administers Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan. This was a landmark in the history of the school.
On 5th October 1958 foundation for construction of a school building was laid by Mr B.P. Khaitan and Mr R.P. Khaitan. On 5th March 1960 the school moved to its new and permanent home at 51 Gariahat Road bidding adieu to its rented premises.
- Day School
- School provides transportation
- Nursery to XII
- WBBSE Board
- English Medium
- Day School
- Co-ed School
- Grades: Nursery, 1-12
- School Day: Monday - Saturday
- Timing: 10am - 5pm
- Gender: Co-Educational
- Religion: All
- Principal: S. Sen
- Curriculum: WBBSE
- Language: English
- Fees: N.A.
Infrastructure at our schools has been specially designed to suit the young, bouncy and eager schoolers, keeping in mind their inquisitive and explorative nature. The arrangements at our schools promote learning through, and with, fun and cheer.
Extra Curricular Activities
1. Clay & Pottery Work
2. Creative Dance
3. Music (Primary)
4. Music (Western vocal)
5. Music (Western Instrumental)
6. Music (Eastern Vocal)
7. Public Speaking & Quiz
8. Girl Guides (Class V & VI)
9. Martial Arts
10. Art & Craft
12. Roller Skating
15. Foreign Language (German)
16. Foreign Language (French)
17. Foreign Language (Chinese)
20. Adventure Sports
- The School has been awarded the 3rd Prize for ‘Saraswati Vandana’ organised by Parle G. The award consists of a trophy and Rs. 25,000/-.
- Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan has been judged as the National Runner Up by Intel for the Best Integration of Computer Technology in curriculum. The award consists of Rs. 1 lakh.
- Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan has also been adjudged as one of the five top schools in the Calcutta District in the Higher Secondary results.
- The school has also received the Telegraph School Awards for Excellence, for the Best Presentation and certificates for outstanding Talents, Extra curricular Activities and the School that looks Beyond.
- In the Outlook Magazine’s All India Inter School Debate Competition, the best Speaker’s award for the motion was won by one of our students.
- In the International Assessments for Indian Schools held by Macmillan on behalf of Education Assessment Australia, of the University of New South Wales, our student got the highest grade among all the children of the same class from all over India.
- The greatest achievement for the school is the Govt. of India Award for Computer Literacy Excellence handed over by the then Honourable President – Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at New Delhi. The prize consists of a Silver Trophy and Rs. 1 lakh.
- International School Award (2001 – 2011) : Awarded by British Council for outstanding development of the international dimension in the curriculum.
- Into the Footsteps of Empowerment of women for the last 60 years.