In 1920, the Indian scenario of women education was quite depressing owing to the tremendous lack of social awareness. To popularize the concept of educating young girls and to meet the growing need of providing quality education at a reasonable cost to girl students, a small but progressive school, Marwari Balika Vidyalaya, with classes only till Standard IV, was established in 1920 in Burrabazar, under the stewardship of Shri Ghanshyamdas Birla and Shri Jugalkishore Birla by a body of enlightened members of the Rajasthani community settled in Kolkata. 3rd January 1954 saw the genesis of Shri Shikshayatan School. It is the dream child of its founder body Marwari Balika Vidyalaya Society. This is a school dedicated to the education of girl students by ensuring simultaneous development of the Spirit, Mind and Body. Since then, the school has grown in all dimensions to become a pre-eminent institution of academic excellence in the city of Kolkata. Nurtured carefully since then, the Society went on to expand its educational activities and started two more institutions – Shri Shikshayatan School and Shri Shikshayatan College at 11, Lord Sinha Road, Kolkata-700 071. Both these institutions have earned acclaim over the years to become premier educational institutions in Kolkata, due to the untiring dedication of Late Sitaramji Seksaria and Late Bhagirathmalji Kanoria, two of the esteemed Trustees of the Society. Shri Shikshayatan School is a centre for providing quality education keeping in mind the rich and diverse heritage of India.
- Day School
- Girls Only
- School provides transportation
“Tammasya Ma Jyotirgamya”
To impart value based education to students so that they are competent to handle global challenges.
To create a congenial child friendly environment in which each pupil develops her intellectual ability, interpersonal skills, creative energy, a spirit of empathy to develop a global perspective which will enhance the students potential to create global citizens and give them a head start in life.
- Grades: 1-12
- School Day: 5 Days
- Timing: Pre – Primary – 8:30 a.m. to 11:a.m. (Morning) & 12 noon to 2:30 p.m. (Afternoon)LKG to Class II – 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (Morning) & 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m. (Afternoon)Class III to Class V – 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.Secondary &
- Gender: Girls Only
- Religion: All
- Principal: Indrani Ganguly
- Curriculum: CBSE
- Language: English
- Fees: N.A.
- Swimming pool, well maintained for students, invites membership from
others outside class hours.
- &Computer Laboratory for students of class VI to XII;
- Well stoked AC library with books for different age group,
classics modern etc.
- Auditorium to hold around 800 students
- Smart class with interactive board in Primary and Higher Secondary
- Mathematics lab well stocked with different modules
- Physics Lab well maintained and updated for the use by Higher Secondary
- Chemistry Lab with modern facilities for the Higher Secondary students.
- Biology Lab, a very well equipped and modern
- Basket ball court where students play intra school and inter school matches
Extra Curricular Activities
- Throw ball
- Social service with LTS & Girl guides
- Cultural activities with intra school and inter school
- Art & craft
- Public speaking
- Computer club
- Interact club
- Nature club
- Cartoon making
- French classes
- German classes
- Creative dancing
- Participation in international school exchange programme with US and UK.
Public Speaking :
Is be conducted by ‘Indo American Society’ for enhancement of the
- Soft skills
- Public Speaking & presentation skills
- Personality development.
Creative Dancing :
Is conducted by founder member of ‘Awakening’ – Dance troupe. A creation within our traditional dance forms, adds to the tradition of the dance where the choreographer offers new original thought with contemporary relevance.
Exercise with music, will be beneficial to the students for enjoyable Physical training.
Computer Club :
“Computer @ ease” and computer graphics taught by experts in this field.
Quiz & Debate :
Is conducted by well know quiz masters, will enhance their knowledge and confidence thus providing a positive, healthy competitive spirit.