Not much is known about our founding fathers, but this much is certain that it began with a vision - a vision for children who, irrespective of language, creed or colour would grow up in an institution devoid of racial prejudices, would be able to express themselves fearlessly and be taught by teachers totally committed to the cause of sound, all-round, value based education.
St. James' School was established in 1864. It was inaugurated by the then Most Revd. George Edward Cotton- the Bishop of Calcutta on 25th July 1864. Almost from its inception, reports show that these were years of stress and struggle. In the first twenty years of its existence the school faced intensive financial difficulties and had to be closed in December 1904. According to reports, there was an upsurge of sentiment on the part of parents, well wishers and old boys at the closure of the school. In 1907, with financial assistance from the Church Education League, the school was reopened. However, again it ran into difficulties and closed in 1918. Relying on the evidence of a few surviving records, we find that the tenacious spirit of the school made it open its doors again in 1924 under the Rectorship of The Rev. Thomas H. Cashmore, also the Vicar of St. James' Church. Rev. Cashmore established a renaissance in the life of both church and school. He had a strong feeling for the traditions the school had established in the half century of its existence, particularly in the field of sport, looking back to school's triumphant winning of the Beighton Cup in hockey in 1900.
So refreshingly different from the desiccated bureaucratic attitude that had condemned the school to closure, Rev. Cashmore's faith in the vitality of his pupils and his humanism indemnified the morale and reputation of the institution. Sports was greatly encouraged as essential to character development and the feats of his pupils in hockey, football, cricket, boxing, swimming and athletics are remembered with affection. Rev. Cashmore left in 1933 to return to England and was succeeded by Mr. I. M. Valentine who contributed much to the consolidation of his predecessor's work during his tenure from 1933 to 1950.
The impact of World War II was felt in the period between 1942 and 1946. Air raid shelters were constructed in the school compound and the school premises requisitioned by the R.A.F. on rent. The boarders were sent off to Christ Church School, Jabalpore, and to Bishop Westcott School, Allahabad. The school itself functioned from two rented premises on Ripon Street and Lower Circular Road. The school moved back to its own premises in July 1947.
In 1950 Mr. Valentine resigned as Rector and Mr. F. R. Marshall had a short two-year tenure and was succeeded by Mr. E. C. Chippendale in 1952, who ushered in a period of considerable change. There was an increased emphasis on the teaching of science and streaming into Science and Humanities began in Class IX. In 1960 the school had above six hundred pupils on its rolls, and with the care of the Rector and the Board of Governors, was at last financially sound. A new science block was constructed and named after Mr. Chippendale, on his departure in 1961, after nine years of service. Mr. L. N. Bird took charge as Rector in 1961, the designation of Rector being changed shortly thereafter to Principal.
- Day School
- Boys Only
- School provides transportation
St. James’ School is affiliated with the CISCE and administers the ICSE(X) and ISC(XII) examinations.
Junior school has the system of grading to judge the students' academics
Each class is under the supervision of a single teacher who teaches all the subjects and interacts with the students for their betterment in academics
Educational field trips once a year to a certain place
Weekly trips to the school library which has a sizable collection of books to satisfy every students needs.
Nursery-Transition: Introduction to alphabets and numbers and extended playtime for the aid of developing the students.
Class-1: Introduction to the study of a vernacular language of the choice of the student. The students choose between Hindi and Bengali.
Class 2: Introduction of General Science and practical analysis of the trees in the school compound for better understanding and Environmental education and English literature.
Class 3:Introduction of Social studies as a subject which include History, Civics and Geography
Class 4: The students are given their 1st chance to show their responsibility as the best students from the past 6 years are chosen to be junior school leaders to lead their fellow students.
Middle School(Classes 5-8)
Introduction of the students to half-yearly and annual examinations
Introduction to the concept of separately specialized teachers teaching separate subjects to improve their knowledge and concepts
Class 5-6: Introduction to higher level of study of the subjects already being taught. Higher level of mathematics by bringing distinction between arithmetic, algebra and geometry. Introduction of 3rd language.
Class 7: Introduction of physics, chemistry and biology as separate subjects. Weekly visits to the Science Labs for practical demonstrations are scheduled.
Class 8:Students who have excelled in academics as well as extracurricular activities are given the chance to be middle school leaders to lead their juniors.
Senior School(Classes 9-12)
Seminars, Presentations, Workshops and counselling are organised for enriching the skill sets of the students.
3rd Language classes end
Class 9: Students choose either the Science or Commerce stream. English, 2nd Language(Vernacular), History Civics and Geography and Mathematics are compulsory Science(Physics, Chemistry, Biology) is offered to the Science students along with Computer Applications, Economic Applications, Art and Physical Education (any one as the sixth subject).
For the Commerce section- Commercial Studies, Economic Applications, Physical Education, Art(any one to be chosen).
Class 9-12: Weekly trips to the lab for practical experiments with practical examinations.
Class 10: Students have their 1st Board examination. The school gives 2 pre-board examinations for students to improve on their academics before their examination
Science students other than English which is compulsory, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and any one of the following
Commerce Students settle for Commerce, Accounts, Economics, Physical Education, Art, Mathematics or Business Studies.
Class 12:Students who have worked for the school for the past years in the field of academics as well as sports are given the chance to be prefects and they have the highest powers assigned to students. Preparations for the I.S.C. examinations in the last year of their school life.
- Grades: Nursery, 1-12
- School Day: 5 Days
- Timing: N.A.
- Gender: Boys Only
- Religion: All
- Principal: Terence Hamilton Ireland
- Curriculum: CISCE
- Language: English
- Fees: N.A.
At present there are two blocks- Junior School building with the School Hall and Annexe and the Main building where the Middle & Senior School are housed.
Large grassy field
Shaded basketball court
Playground for junior school children including swings, jungle gym etc.
Large hall for morning assemblies
Library with huge collection of books
Air-conditioned computer room with 40 modern standard computers with internet access
Labs-Physics, Chemistry ,Biology with up to date equipment.
The Computers and I.T. Facility
The St. James’ School Information Technology Centre, sponsored by I.T.C. was inaugurated by The Bishop of Calcutta, The Rt. Revd. (Dr.) D.C. Gorai on 18th December 1997.
St. James’ believes in the introduction of computers to students right from the very beginning. Students of classes III through VIII are provided elementary knowledge of applications like word-processors, spreadsheet editors, power-point presentations etc. in Multimedia.
For students who opt for computers in class IX through XII, the school offers Java as a programming language, as per the regulations of the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations. Classes IX and X have Computer Applications as a sixth subject, while XI’s and XII’s undertake Computer Science
A State of the Art Sports Facility was inaugurated by the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the school and Mr. Sultan Ahmed, M.P. as Chief Guest on the 14th of August' 2012. It comprises of a Baby Pool, A Main Pool of 4 Lanes and 25m in length, a Gymnasium and a Sports Room. The Swimming Pool have the latest Filtration Plants installed.
Extra Curricular Activities
St. James’ School has one of the largest playgrounds among Schools in Kolkata.
St. James’ School has a covered regulation size basketball court
St. James’ School holds its Annual Athletic Meet where students participate and win medals and certificates for their performance. Junior School has their sports on a different day.
CLUBS OR GROUPS
These are managed by students and presided over by respective teachers. These clubs hold meetings every week where each member must attend:
Quizobean- Quiz Club
OTHER EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
St. James’ School is known for its fests including Jacosynthesis and JacoMUN which occur annually.
St. James’ School also has vernacular inter-school festivals, JacoJosh- in Hindi, JacoSanskriti- in Bengali.
Elocution-English, Hindi , Bengali
Debate- English, Hindi , Bengali
School Rock Band
School Dance Team
Quiz-Interclass and inter-school
Drama Team- arranges plays once a year